These Are The Days

These Are The Days

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Zucchini Relish

So I didn't feel I had canned near enough jars of goodness yet to last us through the upcoming winter. I decided to tackle making relish :)
Made out of zucchini !
My Aunt Nancy's recipe, because she has an amazing garden and cans all things! Plus she gave me the zucchini - cause you guessed it - MINE DID NOT GROW :)
It really isn't hard, though it would be time consuming if you don't have a food processor to do all that chopping for you .
Thankfully I do :)
Your going to start out by chopping up 10 cups of zucchini.
Then chop up 4 cups of onions.
1 large sweet red pepper
1 can chopped green chilies ( I didn't use these )
Throw all this into a large bowl and add 3 Tbsp of pickling salt.
Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge to chill overnight .
The next morning, drain and rinse the zucchini mixture. It looks a lot like coleslaw and smells like it too .
In a large pot add :
3 1/2 cups of sugar
3 cups of vinegar
1 Tbsp ground turmeric
4 tsp celery seed
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Bring this to a boil.
Add the zucchini mixture to the pot. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
Then put in your already washed and sterilized warm jars.
Seal the lids on.
Put the jars in a pot of boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
Take them out and listen for the popping :)
Voila !!!
7 Jars of Relish :)
Enough to last our little family for 2 years !
ENJOY :)

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh yum! Now I wish I had planted more zuchinni!!

shanilie said...

Nice! I've never pickled zucchini id love to try tho.