These Are The Days

These Are The Days

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Crisp Cucumber Pickle Slices


My friend Karen gave me a bunch of these cute little cucumbers the other day. I thought they would be perfect to make some more dill pickles with but talked myself out of it deciding that the 27 jars we already had would do :) So I started looking through some local cook books I had and came across this Crisp Cucumber Pickle Slices recipe, which also happened to have submitted into the recipe book by my grandmother Alice . I didn't think it looked too complicated, so it was the winner :)  
Wash all your cucumbers ....
Chop them up into slices ....
Add: 1 chopped green pepper ( optional )
1 red pepper ( optional )
3 medium onions ( chopped )
1/3 cup of pickling salt
Then cover with cold water and ice.
Let it sit for 3-5 hours.
Again, wash and sterilize those jars ....
Boil your lids ....
After the cucumbers have soaked in the water and ice.
Get a huge pot !
Add : 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp celery seed
5 cups of sugar
3 cups of vinegar
Stir those together,  then add your cucumber mixture after you drain and rinse them off.
Stir and bring to a boil.
Then pack them into your hot jars.
Seal right away and listen for the popping :)
ENJOY :)

No comments: