These Are The Days

These Are The Days

Friday, July 20, 2012

Jam ! Jam ! Jam !


Yesterday I made 4 batches of Strawberry Jam. I picked my strawberries a few weeks ago but I was way too cheap to pay full price for all that sugar so waited for it to go on sale :) It did! $1.49 per 2 kg! Got to be thrifty people !!!
To make 4 batches of jam, you need 16 cups of crushed strawberries, 28 cups of SUGAR ~  I know ~ so healthy ! You also need 4 packages of Liquid Pectin, 1 Cup of Lemon Juice and 2 tbsp of Butter .
First boil all of your lids ....
Then wash out your jars, fill them with boiling water, then put them in the oven on low while you are cooking the jam to sanitize them ...
Start with all those berries, throw them into a huge pot. I made a double batch at a time. They say not to make more than two batches at a time or your jam might not set. Can't risk that :)
Then dump in all that SUGAR and the Lemon Juice....
Stir it up nice and good ...
Bring it to a hard boil for 1 min. Keep stirring, then take it off the burner and add your pectin and I throw in a little butter, as it's supposed to help get rid of the foam. Then stir for 5 minutes to get all the foam out...
Put it in jars, let them set and listen for the popping :)
Heaven in a jar :)

3 comments:

Shanilie said...

This is great Shannon. This is what I hope to do today! Love the pics. I bet it will taste amazing. I did a post http://www.shanilie.com/2011/03/22/tasty-tuesday-grape-jelly/ on grape jelly just with the welsh's grape juice if you're up for more canning. It's so easy too

Rachael said...

MMMMMMM! DELISH!! I didn't get my strawberry rhubarb jam done this year and I'm kind of sad about that!! There shall be other years though! Now you'll have jam to enjoy all winter long!

Ben Blois said...

best jam in the hisory of jam!